Nine Things To Do When Your Car is Tuned Up
There are many things you can do to improve the mileage of your car. There are various conditions that cause your car to consume more fuel than necessary. As an example, if your car is poorly tuned, it could become 20 percent less efficient. After prolonged usage, various parts in your car will not work based on optimum condition. Tune ups will make sure that your car will run smoothly and it will get the normal mileage. In general, you should perform tune ups after 30,000 miles. Before performing tune up, you should make sure that the mechanic won’t do any unnecessary task. In general, here are things that your mechanics should do when tuning up your car:
- Replace air filter: If you are living in a dusty area, it is important to regularly clean the air filter. The filter should be replaced every 30,000. This is a simple thing to do and you can do it on your own at home.
- Replace fuel filters: Fuel filters should be replaced every 30,000 to make sure that the engine gets clean fuel for the combustion process. It is also important to clean the fuel injector or carburettor, depending on the car model.
- Clean or change spark plugs: If your spark plugs are old, they won’t be able to properly ignite the fuel. The gas mileage will suffer and your car will perform poorly. If you have high quality platinum spark plugs, you can replace them every 60,000 miles.
- Replace spark plug wires: This is a more expensive task, but spark plugs will eventually get old and they should be replaced.
- Evaluate the oxygen sensor: If the oxygen sensor is faulty, it is possible that the engine will use too much fuel. Depending on the model of the oxygen sensor, it needs to be replaced every 30,000 or 60,000 miles. If you don’t replace the oxygen sensor, the fuel economy will suffer.
- Adjust the valve: It is a good idea to replace the valve cover gasket, because it is common for leakage to occur. When leak happens, oil accumulation may happen at the top of the engine.
- Clean throttle plate: This is a good thing to do if your car has fuel injection system. You will also need to make sure that the mechanic will adjust the air fuel mixture. Adjustment will also be needed if the car has carburettor.
- Check all fluids: Fluids are needed for the smooth operation of your car. They need to be checked and replaced on a regular basis.
- Check battery: During the tune up session, you should make sure to check the battery. All the terminals and cable ends should be properly cleaned. If you see corrosion on those parts, you should clean them up. Check whether the battery fluid needs to be added. During tune up, it is a good idea to refill the battery with distilled water.
By doing the above tasks, you can be sure that the fuel economy will be restored and the overall performance will be satisfactory.